Founded in Royat (Auvergne department) in 1892 by Clémentine and Auguste Rouzaud, Marquise de Sévigné chocolates, with their signature blue boxes, are among the most recognisable French chocolates.
Back in the day, Auguste made the chocolates and Clémentine took care of the marketing.
One day Clémentine sent a box of their finest confections to playwright and poet Edmond Rostand, who at the time was sojouring in Vichy at Le Pavillon de Sévigné, one of Madame de Sévigné’s residences during the 17th century.
And the idea to rename the business A la Marquise de Sévigné was born.
The chocolatiers gradually became famous. Between 1900 and 1914, the couple opened 11 new stores in France and soon thereafter began selling their chocolates abroad.
Their grandson, Claude-Auguste Rouzaud, took over the business in 1952. During the 1970s, the company was bought by a large group, which closed most of the shops in a failed attempt to switch to mass distribution.
Fortunately, in 1973 Marquise de Sévigné changed hands yet again, bought by the Burrus family, artisanal chocolatiers since 1911.
The chocolate shop opened by Madame Rouzaud on place de la Madeleine remains the company’s flagship store.
© Copyright www.chocoparis.com 2009-2011. All Rights Reserved.
Marquise de Sévigné
11, place de la Madeleine, 75008 Paris
Tel. +33 (0)1 42 65 19 47
Paris Roissy Charles-de Gaulle Airport
Terminal 2E “La galerie parisienne” (tax-free zone)
Tel. +33 (0)1 49 75 55 98
Paris-Orly Terminal Ouest (public area and tax-free zones) “Gastronomie”
Tel. +33 (0)1 49 75 55 31